Winterfest is upon us!

What? It’s almost Christmas already? For once I’m not disappointed that time is flying. Why? First, the closer we are to Christmas, the closer we are to presents. Duh! Secondly, it means that we’re in the midst of Solitude’s 2nd Annual Winterfest!

For those of you who don’t know, Winterfest is two weeks of pure awesomeness for the whole family. Yes, I just made up that word, but it seemed fitting.

What classifies as awesomeness? Allow me to inform you. A pedestrian only village that is bustling with people, activity, fun and games. Ice skating parties complete with s’mores made over an open fire (the way they should be). History lessons. Movies. Astronomy presentations and star gazing tours. Solitude Ski Patrol rescue dog demonstrations. Snowshoeing tours. Holiday singers.

Wow, that is quite the list! And believe me it could, and does, go on. But I won’t share all the secrets of Winterfest, because the best part is discovering it for yourself!

Check out more details at: http://www.skisolitude.com/summer/clubsolitude.php

Welcome winter, glad to see you’re here to stay

Do you remember middle school dances? You know, the one’s where the guys were on one side and the girls on the other. Both wanted to dance with each other, but neither group knew how to make the first move . . . until the DJ played that special song that broke the ice.

Where am I going with this?Allow me to explain. Before this big storm, this winter had been like one of those dances. It was struggling. Skiers and boarders looked longingly at the mountains. Luckily, DJ Ullr spun that special song (aka the storm) bringing powder hounds together with the mountain for a memorable dance (aka powder turns). But this song wasn’t just one and done. It kept playing for 48 hours dumping 46” of snow on Solitude Mountain Resort!

Now, this may be just another dump of Utah’s finest for you, but this is EPIC to me (Note: if you see me frolicking about in the waist deep powder, just let me have a moment). You see, I’m not from around here. I grew up skiing the heavy-wet of the Pacific Northwest. Days like these past few are what set the Wasatch, and more specifically Solitude, apart from the rest of the field. Days like these past few have been the subject of my powder dreams for years. And days like these past few are what we can expect for the rest of the season.

So, I thank you DJ Ullr for breaking the ice and I look forward to making turns to your tunes for the rest of the season!

Avalanche Awareness Course Dec 19 & 20

Join members of Solitude’s Professional Ski Patrol and Snow Safety team to learn how to travel responsibly and safely outside resort boundaries. This two-day course is a great introduction to the identification of avalanche hazard and the skills needed to safely travel in the backcountry.

The course will focus on identifying avalanche terrain, analyzing snow and weather factors, managing group dynamics, and avalanche rescue skills. The morning of day one will start with the guides giving a presentation on avalanches, followed by the rest of day one and two being spent in the backcountry putting these concepts into action.

All participants will have the option to use our brand new Black Diamond touring setups, consisting of the Justice skis with Fritschi Freeride bindings and Ascension skins.

Call BackTracks at 801 536-5705 or visit us at solitudebacktracks.com to reserve your spot.