Author Archive

Wednesday, April 2nd, 2014

Solitude’s Training Grounds

Skiing is an interesting sport in that you can never be perfect at it. Once you’ve mastered that stem christie, you start working on parallel turns. Soon, you’re pounding out some moguls, feeling comfortable with on-piste conditions, and eventually start traversing or hiking. I suppose this is why we can do this sport, sometimes day […]

No Comments » - Posted in Blog Entry by

Tuesday, March 25th, 2014

Spring Skiing at Solitude

The best time of the year is here! It’s unfortunate that winter has come and gone  but the Utah ski season always saves the very best for last. Spring is a beautiful thing and we are loving it up.   The snows are still piling high in the Wasatch Mountains but the days are longer […]

Saturday, February 15th, 2014

4 different experiences of 4 feet in 4 days

Makenzie: After anticipating it and hearing about it for years, I finally got a taste of powder at the best ski resort in Utah. On Friday, I made my way up the canyon excited for another day at my favorite Utah ski resort. Snow was falling and the weather was perfect. Taking my first warm up […]

Wednesday, February 12th, 2014

The Game Changer

I remember the days of backwards pizzas, edgie wedgies and hula hoops all too well and trust me, when I say I put my time in on the hill with my two sons Noah and Isaac, I mean I put my time in. There were a few days in between the sweat and tears that […]

Tuesday, December 31st, 2013

Groms with Glow Sticks Ring in the New Year

Cheese pizza, a snow cat ride with your friends, and skiing back down decorated with glow sticks? What more could a kid ask for to ring in the New Year? Youth from the Wasatch area, local cabin kids, and even a few visitors joined us last night for the annual Children’s Glow Light Parade. […]

Thursday, December 26th, 2013

All I want for Christmas is bluebird powder…and some friends to ski with

Growing up as a skier, every Christmas was inevitably filled with gifts for the sport. Long underwear, ski socks, and new gloves or goggles were often waiting for me under the tree each Christmas morning. My post-present afternoons were spent trying it all out whether in snow caves, cross country skiing, or even snowboarding […]

Monday, November 14th, 2011

First Tracks Online Powder Day Report

by Marc Guido – First Tracks Online www.firsttracksonline.com Day 2: Powder day! The second part of our one-two punch of a storm arrived around 3 am and was a bit bigger than expected. I’d been tossing around the idea of hitting up lift-served at Solitude or skinning at Alta with mbaydala, Skidog and Bobby Danger. […]

Friday, December 10th, 2010

LA Times Feature Story/Video on Solitude.

By Christopher Reynolds Los Angeles Times Staff WriterDecember 12, 2010 Reporting from Solitude Mountain Resort, Utah — At last — a ski area suitable for our readers in the federal witness protection program. Solitude Mountain Resort lies about 30 miles from downtown Salt Lake City, tucked into the same Wasatch range that harbors such famed […]

Monday, December 6th, 2010

Beat the Inversion, Head up the Big

Excerpt from: http://skiingsolitudeutah.blogspot.com/2010/12/beat-inversion-head-up-big.html Yesterday I woke up to a mean inversion. How could the skiing be any good when you cannot see the mountains? Read more here:

1 Comment » - Posted in Blog Entry by

Monday, November 22nd, 2010

Tanner Hall, Chad Spector & Posse Shred the ‘tude

Excerpt from http://chadspector.com/blog/ “A little bird whispered in my ear last night that Solitude was going to open the Powderhorn and Summit chairs for the 1st time this season.  That meant that there’d be many many feet of snow that was just sitting there waiting for someone to ski it.  Snow that had taunted all […]