Author Archive

Monday, January 13th, 2014

Anticipating More (and How to Find It)

It’s starting: we’re getting past the point of early season skiing in Utah and are starting to lust after some of our favorites lines. We hungrily eye the routes we haven’t taken since last season as we pass overhead on the lift. People stack up next to closure lines to assess how long until their […]

No Comments » - Posted in Blog Entry by

Friday, March 30th, 2012

Just Add Chocolate

I just stumbled across one of the greatest things I’ve heard all season. No, it’s not a miraculous powder dump on my favorite mountain. It’s not that winter will be extended into next season. These are spectacular thoughts, I admit, but it’s spring and closing day is just over two weeks away. With those facts […]

1 Comment » - Posted in Blog Entry by

Saturday, March 24th, 2012

Missing Home

Today I changed my Facebook background picture for the first time this ski year. Since November, it had been a photo I snapped in Honeycomb Canyon last season. I’ve been proud to sport that photo and rep my home resort all this time. However, for the past week, I’ve been heli-skiing in Alaska and thought […]

Tuesday, February 21st, 2012

Skiing the Deepest “2 inches” of Powder

“I love it when Solitude under reports and over delivers on snow!” Photo: Brian Thurber The caption above explains just how I feel about skiing yesterday. The double punch of being both a snow day and President’s day, I headed up to Solitude just after lunch hoping to miss at least a portion of the crowd. Nearing […]

Wednesday, February 15th, 2012

Fine Dining Worth The Hike

The moon was hidden behind the frosty mountains as we wound our way over the wooded snowshoe trail to Solitude Resort’s yurt. Three or four of us carried lanterns to assist the group of diners- roughly 20 of us- to the structure located about a mile away from the base of the resort. Energy ran […]

Sunday, January 22nd, 2012

The Fat Flakes Fall

That’s more like it… from the Solitude Facebook page It’s hard to get more depressing than rain in January when you live in Utah. Adding insult to injury is that thousands are gathered here in Salt Lake City for the Outdoor Retailer (OR) show this week and the skies in the valley have been dumping […]

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012

Seek and Ye Shall Find

With so many neglected skis gathering dust in closets, there’s bound to be treasure out there for the one who searches in the right places. To this minority, I applaud. While the snow snobs keep sighing over lack of snow, your skis, dripping from melted snow in the back of your truck, have just enjoyed […]

Wednesday, December 21st, 2011

Yes, Virginia, there is a sun!

Study the two pictures below. The one on the left is the view of the city. The one on the right is from  Solitude Resort. Both are taken within an hour of each other. Let us begin our examination in comparisons. Both photos have clouds. The photo on the left features a pollution cloud filled […]

No Comments » - Posted in Blog Entry,Mountain by